Thursday 23 February 2017

I'd rather die than be dying: Modern Baseball, London, 18/02/17

I discovered Modern Baseball around the same time that I found The Front Bottoms (approx. August 2013). I'm a big fan of slightly nasal American pop punk artists, what can I say. Modern Baseball and TFB supported Brand New on a tour of the states last year, I wish I could have been there!

On Saturday 18th February I made my way to Kentish Town's o2 forum (potentially my favourite gig venue in London - I love how I can arrive quite a while after door's open but still get really near the front and just love the atmosphere). Modern Baseball came to the UK to promote their latest album, Holy Ghost, which was released last year. 

Support came from Thin Lips and Superweaks, the latter coming on stage a few times to sing with Modern Baseball. Prior to coming, I didn't know either band that well (just a quick Spotify stalk a few days beforehand) but they definitely got the crowd going. 

I really loved Modern Baseball's set. To me they represent the start of uni, when things were going really well yet I still remembered how unhappy I had been at school previously. Their lyrics often concentrate on the impact of social media on my generation, which I can obviously relate to. 

A highlight of the set was when they played 'Hiding'. This is one of my favourite songs from the Holy Ghost album but I wasn't expecting them to play it. It's always a great feeling when you recognise each song that is played, and it seemed like the crowd were loving every minute. 

Following an energetic rendition of 'Your Graduation', the concert finished with an incredible cover of The Killers' 'When You Were Young'. (See shaky video below, I was very excited). 



While the gig was really enjoyable, and Sean, Ian and Jake did a great job, it was still sad to not see Brendan perform. Anxiety and depression are not to be taken lightly, and I think I speak on behalf of all the fans when saying I fully understand his decision not to play. 

Additionally, a few days after the gig Jake posted a message on Facebook saying that the band will be taking a break while they all individually focus on their mental health. My heart goes out to you all, stay strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment