Monday 13 February 2017

Do you want it all? No, but a little more atmosphere would've been nice: Two Door Cinema Club, London, 09/02/17

Last Thursday, I saw Two Door Cinema Club for the second time at Alexandra Palace. While it was an enjoyable experience, I can't say it was the most inspiring concert I've ever attended. 

First things first, however, I was very impressed with the logistics of getting to Ally Pally. The bus from Wood Green dropped us off directly outside the venue, so we didn't have to mission up the hill in the cold. It was also such a beautiful building and I wasn't expecting to be greeted by some huge trees as we entered... Also, before arriving at the main stage there was a big area full of bars and food stalls which added to the relaxed vibes.


Alexandra Palace's 'atrium'
We missed Sundara Karma, the first support act, thanks to a combination of an earlier pull of sushi and the time required to actually get from central London to Alexandra Park. When we arrived Circa Waves were seemingly mid set and the crowd was beginning to warm up. 

Around 8:30pm, Circa Waves appeared to finish and we expected Two Door to start, but it turned out that they had simply taken an exetnded break and they returned 20 minutes later. I found this a bit strange, and it also made me less excited for the main act who didn't get on stage until 9:30pm. I would have appreciated knowing this in advance so I could have planned accordingly, but hey.
THE classic gig photo, no?
Set-list wise, it was evident that Two Door know their fan base well. The majority came from earlier albums, with classics such as 'Undercover Martyn' and 'Something Good Can Work' going down a storm. I wasn't blown away by the acoustics at Ally Pally, granted we were standing quite far back but it wasn't always the most engaging experience. 

I don't want to come across too negative, because I did enjoy my evening. I'm just conscious that things could have been slightly better. Overall I'm glad I got to test out Alexandra Palace as a venue and now I'm looking forward to seeing Modern Baseball on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment