Sunday 31 December 2017

My year in music

2017 has been a funny year. Here in the UK we dealt with sickening revelations and political turmoil. Our so-called 'special relationship' with the US seems more laughable than ever.

Back to music... I think it's fair to say that it's been a pretty mixed bag. On the one hand, we were presented with beautiful albums from the likes of LCD Soundsystem, Enter Shikari and The National.

On the other hand, many of my favourite bands have been irrecoverably condemned to the 'do not listen to' pile. What will it take to stop those in power from abusing it so?

While I struggled to understand the upsetting news stories, I did get to attend over 20 gigs this year and discover some great new artists.

I'm happy I stumbled across October Drift, Japandroids, and The Smith Street Band. I definitely rank the latter in my top 5 favourite artists, and am planning a trip to Australia to see the group out there. 

My most memorable gig of 2017 has to be Los Campesinos! at London's KOKO in May. The group has such an infectious energy, and it was great to be a part of it.

I also finally got to see The Killers and Future Islands, two bands I've loved for a long time. 

I have high hopes for 2018. I have my fingers crossed for a UK Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile tour, and cannot wait to see The Front Bottoms and The Smith Street Band in London in February.

Wherever you celebrate the new year, I hope you have a good one. Here's to 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment